Cooking Your Way to Wellness in Pregnancy! Need help with meal planning and preparation? Cooking Your Way to Wellness in Pregnancy is an interactive virtual class designed to provide you with the hands-on experience to create healthy eating habits during your pregnancy to help ensure you and baby are as healthy as possible. Learn about nutrition for pregnancy while preparing dishes to stock your fridge for the week. Come discover the great flavours and many health benefits! Join from the comfort of your home for this virtual cooking demonstration on June 22 here.
Donors to Calgary Health Foundation support the South Health Campus Wellness Kitchen, which hosts a variety of virtual classes to help with food, nutrition and cooking.
Ingredients for 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup Quantity Split red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup (approximately 1 medium banana) ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp allspice, ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup (approximately 1 large carrot) carrot, finely shredded
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare muffin tin with liners or non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine lentils and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer, about 10 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, vanilla and egg until well blended.
- Add mashed banana and cooled cooked lentils. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt to combine.
- Beat dry ingredients into lentil mixture a little at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl to
- ensure wet and dry ingredients are fully combined.
- Stir in carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.