Fall is right around the corner which means it’s pumpkin season! A high-fibre diet is good for your health. To increase your fibre intake, use healthy baking ingredients like whole wheat flour instead of white flour. Thanks to our partners at Alberta Health Services for providing this delicious recipe.
Ingredients for 12 servings:
- 1⁄2 tsp orange zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Prepare muffin tin by spraying with nonstick cooking spray or inserting paper muffin cups. Set aside.
- To prepare orange zest, wash and dry an orange. Using a grater, grate the skin of the orange, making sure not to grate too long in one spot to avoid having the white, bitter rind in your muffins. Measure 1⁄2 teaspon of the zest and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, and oil. Add pumpkin and mix thoroughly.
- In another medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest and raisins.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined (about 10 seconds). Do not over mix.
- Using a spoon, scoop batter into muffin tins until all the batter is used and muffin tins are evenly filled.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.