Learn how to eat Mediterranean! The Mediterranean may be far away, but the delicious and healthful foods of this style of eating are close at hand. Improve your nutrition with Mediterranean meal ideas for neurological health, cardiovascular health or general well-being. Come discover the great flavours and many health benefits! Join from the comfort of your home for this virtual cooking demonstration.
Donors to Calgary Health Foundation support the South Health Campus Wellness Kitchen, which hosts a variety of virtual classes to help with food, nutrition and cooking. Their virtual Mediterranean Style Eating for Health class is coming up on December 9! Register here.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1/4 meidum red onion (or 2 shallots), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked or canned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 8 whole eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup 2% milk, butter milk, kefir, or Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup feta or goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade or minced fine
- Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a 9-inch (22 cm), deep, oven-safe skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat
- Add onion and saute until softened, translucent, and fragrant
- Add the pepper and sauté until softened
- Add the kale and sauté until softened
- Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the lentils and sundried tomatoes. Cook until just heated through, adjusting heat down and stirring as needed to prevent the lentils from breaking down or sticking
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, melted butter, salt, pepper, chili powder, and oregano to combine. Set aside.
- Returning to the skillet, make sure lentils and vegetables are well combined and evenly distributed across the pan.
- Working from the center, gently pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Using a circular motion ensure you pour the egg evenly throughout the pan.
- Cover and cook over low to low-medium until the eggs begin to firm-up.
- When the eggs are still slightly jiggly, but mostly solid, remove the lid and top with cheese.
- Transfer (uncovered) into preheated oven. Switch the oven to the broiler setting.
- Broil until cheese begins to bubble and topping begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven. Let rest 5 minutes on a heat proof surface.
- Slice into four wedges.
- Serve, garnished with fresh basil
- This recipe works well with a variety of vegetables, spice combinations, and/or different cheeses
- Packed with protein and fiber, this easy skillet meal can be served for breakfasat, lunch, or supper. For a balanced meal serve with a slice of whole grain bread and a dollop of homemade olive tapenade
- If you do not have an oven-safe skillet, continue from step 11 with your stove top skillet over low heat. Avoid over-cooking, but ensure the eggs are cooked through and firmed up. Top with cheese and cover to melt. Remove from heat and continue with resting/serving/garnishing as above.